Sunday, March 30, 2008

Letter 15

This letter was quite confusing to me. I thought I was beginning to understand how to understand the writing. This letter talks about how he wants his "patient" to be living in the Future. This is because to him the Present requires him to be thinking about what is going on at that moment and be in touch with reality. This would cause him to pray more and be aware of trials and turn to God. I believe that is what it was saying. However, I was slightly confused. It then talked about how the Past can occasionally be good for the devil because people dwell on it. However, ultimately it may do the same as the present. Both Present and Past can relate to eternity which is what God wants people to focus on. The devil would like us to live in the Future. This makes us not realize what is going on in front of us. It makes us miss opportunities and focus on false hopes. This ultimately leads to disappointment which can make one angry with God. I find this interesting because I think as a society much of the time we take things for granted and just push them aside to look for something better and bigger. When things aren't large and exciting they are overlooked. For example in this society materialism is a large part of our culture. A small act of kindness is overlooked because it did not mean anything to some one. A promise is not real without a large diamond. We take much for granted and I think that may be what is being said here.

No comments: